Casa Sol y Mar needs your vote. Nominations are open for San Diego City Beat’s “Best Of” issue, and we need all Mexican cuisine connoisseurs, food lovers and restaurant goers to help us win “Best” for:
- Family Restaurant
- Local Catering
- Mexican Food
- Outdoor Dining
- Fish Tacos
- Happy Hour
- Margarita at a Bar
You have through September 15 to nominate. Voting for the top 5 is held September 17-29 and the winners will be announced October 22.
Show them where to get the best Mexican food in San Diego – Casa Sol y Mar! Nominations can be made at http://goo.gl/xbHjOR.
Stressed spelled backwards is desserts. Coincidence? We think not! Come relax with us and complete your meal with one of our mouth-watering desserts. Our “postres” menu is loaded with Deep Fried Ice Cream, traditional Churros and many other satisfying treats for your sweet-tooth.
- Chocolate Lava Cake – Moist chocolate cake filled with chocolate lava and topped with ice cream and whipped cream.
- Flan – Traditional Mexican style custard with delicious caramel sauce.
- Deep Fried Ice Cream – A mound of creamy vanilla ice cream in a crispy cinnamon-sprinkled crust, topped with whipped cream and chocolate syrup.
- Mexican Banana Split – Three scoops of vanilla ice cream drenched in caramel, chocolate and strawberry sauce, nestled between two slices of banana.
- Churros & Ice Cream – Golden fried churros dusted with cinnamon sugar and served with vanilla ice cream.
There is always room for dessert here at Casa Sol y Mar!
Eating out is about more than just great food and wonderful service, it’s also about a warm and inviting atmosphere that allows diners to sit back, relax, and enjoy their dining experience. Unwind with us at Casa Sol y Mar on our beautiful outdoor patio! You’ll be surrounded by a lush garden, colorful umbrellas and a splashing water fountain made from Cantera Stone and handpainted tiles.
While taking advantage of San Diego’s idyllic weather, you’ll dine near exotic tropical vegetation, experience the sights and smells of authentic and fresh Mexican cuisine, and get serenaded by our strolling mariachis.
Guests also rave about our giant margaritas, and don’t forget happy hour, Mon.-Fri. from 4-7p.m. Hope to see you soon!
(To check out our full menu, click here.)
Healthy dining…Mexican style? Only at Diane Powers’ Bazaar del Mundo Restaurant Group, where six flavorful and regionally-inspired Mexican entrees are new – and all under 650 calories! Gluten-free choices are also included.
The chefs at Powers’ award-winning Mexican restaurants (including our sister-restaurants Casa Guadalajara in Old Town, Casa de Pico in La Mesa and Casa de Bandini in Carlsbad) have created lighter selections using the finest and freshest ingredients, with homemade salsas and sauces newly prepared every day:
- Camarones del Pacifico: The ultimate shrimp ceviche marinated and poached in Pacifico beer, lime juice, red onions, Tajin and cucumbers – 290 calories
- *Ensalada de Chef Ignacio: Grilled chicken, avocado slices, tomatoes, queso Oaxaca and thin red onion, served with spicy chipotle light ranch dressing – 510 calories; gluten free
- *Turkey Picadillo Enchiladas: Turkey Picadillo Enchiladas topped with salsa verde and queso cotija, served with black beans and jicama slaw – 560 calories; gluten free
- Turkey Picadillo Soft Tacos: Two soft, ground turkey tacos with pico de gallo, pickled red onions, queso cotija, served with black beans, arroz poblana and salsa quemada – 490 calories
- Tacos de Pescado Tropicales: Grilled fish with pineapple and mango salsa in soft corn tortillas, served with jicama slaw, light sour cream jalapeño lemon sauce, and black beans – 650 calories
- *Ensalada de Carne Asada: Grilled and marinated carne asada, with sliced avocado, tomatoes, queso cotija, sliced radishes, spring mix of romaine and cilantro lime dressing – 390 calories; gluten free
* = gluten-free selections
Diners can enjoy the new healthy dining entrees while washing them down with a frosty Skinny Margarita, made with Tres Agaves nectar and under 100 calories. ¡Salud!
We’re celebrating our one year anniversary with a day of festive entertainment and a month long margarita special!
Thursday, May 22, diners will enjoy colorful Folkloric dance and mariachi performances from 5:30-9:30 p.m. From May 22 to June 30, we’ll feature a special Anniversary Margarita – the Sangrita Margarita, a 17 oz blended house margarita with housemade sangria for $7.95.
Since opening last May, our restaurant has become known for its warm and romantic ambiance, artfully painted interior, lush outdoor patio and authentic Mexican cuisine.
“Guests have told us again and again that being here is like its own vacation,” said General Manager Julie Bell, who came to Casa Sol y Mar from sister-restaurant Casa de Pico. “It’s so gratifying to see new and familiar faces, who often visit us for a fun night out in our lively Cantina or a romantic dinner on our outdoor patio.”
Just in time for our anniversary, we’ve introduced six new healthy dining entrees, including additional gluten-free choices. All selections weigh in at 290-650 calories and include: Ensalada de Carne Asada, with grilled and marinated carne asada, sliced avocado, tomatoes, queso cotija, sliced radishes, spring mix of romaine and cilantro lime dressing; Ensalada de Chef Ignacio, with grilled chicken, avocado slices, tomatoes, queso Oaxaca and thin red onion, served with spicy chipotle light ranch dressing; and Turkey Picadillo Enchiladas, topped with salsa verde and queso cotija, served with black beans and jicama slaw.
Celebrate at Casa Sol y Mar or let us cater your at-home fiesta.
Diane Powers was the first to bring a Cinco de Mayo celebration to Old Town in 1983, and today she continues her dedication to the Mexican culture with lively celebrations at her family of restaurants.
Join us at Casa Sol y Mar May 3-5 for several days of strolling mariachis and Folkloric dancers, tasty food, and drink specials! Festive entertainment Saturday, Sunday and Monday will include Ballet Folklorico at 1 p.m., 4 p.m. and 6 p.m., and mariachis from 1-9 p.m.
On Monday during happy hour from 4-7 p.m. in the Cantina, guests will enjoy promotional giveaways from Dos Equis, Pacífico and Negra Modelo, as well as house margaritas for $3.95. Featured food and drink specials include the Cincorita Margarita – a combination of strawberry, lemon-lime and kiwi, in layers of green, white and red, paying homage to the Mexican flag – and Enchiladas Banderas – a savory sampling of chicken, cheese and beef enchiladas served with three different sauces – verde, blanca and rojas (green, white and red).
Join us for a great weekend of delicious Mexican food, drinks and entertainment. Or, if you’re planning a party at home, let us cater. We promise to “WOW” your guests with tasty antojitos (appetizers), flavorful entrees and sides, fresh tortillas, and sweet postres (desserts).
Visit our website for catering information: www.casasolymar.com
St. Patrick’s Day is over, but we’re still seeing lots of green! When you see “verde” on our menu, you can bet it will be fresh, flavorful and delicious. Take our green food challenge and try something green from our menu on your next visit:
Chile Verde: pork carnitas sautéed in a tomatillo sauce with onions and green peppers, served with Mexican rice, frijoles de la olla and hot tortillas
Enchiladas Suizas: two enchiladas with seasoned shredded chicken and roasted green chiles, topped with salsa verde, cheese and sour cream, served with Mexican rice and refried beans
Enchiladas de Espinacas: sautéed spinach, mushrooms, onion and peppers with jalapeño cheese sauce folded into two corn tortillas and topped with salsa verde and sour cream, served with fiesta rice and a concha of black beans
And of course, we can’t forget our tasty (and cute!) Concha de Guacamole. You’ll love this crispy flour tortilla with fresh guacamole, sprinkled with jack and cheddar cheese and served with chips.
See our full menu here.