Posts tagged healthy dining
Are San Diego restaurants getting healthier? That’s the question Lori Weisberg is answering in her recent article for U-T San Diego. Lori talks with Healthy Dining President Anita Jones-Mueller, who says one of her favorite healthy dining choices when she eats out is the Salmon Fresco at Casa Sol y Mar!
Read the full article and view the gallery here.
Healthy dining…Mexican style? Only at Diane Powers’ Bazaar del Mundo Restaurant Group, where six flavorful and regionally-inspired Mexican entrees are new – and all under 650 calories! Gluten-free choices are also included.
The chefs at Powers’ award-winning Mexican restaurants (including our sister-restaurants Casa Guadalajara in Old Town, Casa de Pico in La Mesa and Casa de Bandini in Carlsbad) have created lighter selections using the finest and freshest ingredients, with homemade salsas and sauces newly prepared every day:
- Camarones del Pacifico: The ultimate shrimp ceviche marinated and poached in Pacifico beer, lime juice, red onions, Tajin and cucumbers – 290 calories
- *Ensalada de Chef Ignacio: Grilled chicken, avocado slices, tomatoes, queso Oaxaca and thin red onion, served with spicy chipotle light ranch dressing – 510 calories; gluten free
- *Turkey Picadillo Enchiladas: Turkey Picadillo Enchiladas topped with salsa verde and queso cotija, served with black beans and jicama slaw – 560 calories; gluten free
- Turkey Picadillo Soft Tacos: Two soft, ground turkey tacos with pico de gallo, pickled red onions, queso cotija, served with black beans, arroz poblana and salsa quemada – 490 calories
- Tacos de Pescado Tropicales: Grilled fish with pineapple and mango salsa in soft corn tortillas, served with jicama slaw, light sour cream jalapeño lemon sauce, and black beans – 650 calories
- *Ensalada de Carne Asada: Grilled and marinated carne asada, with sliced avocado, tomatoes, queso cotija, sliced radishes, spring mix of romaine and cilantro lime dressing – 390 calories; gluten free
* = gluten-free selections
Diners can enjoy the new healthy dining entrees while washing them down with a frosty Skinny Margarita, made with Tres Agaves nectar and under 100 calories. ¡Salud!
We’re celebrating our one year anniversary with a day of festive entertainment and a month long margarita special!
Thursday, May 22, diners will enjoy colorful Folkloric dance and mariachi performances from 5:30-9:30 p.m. From May 22 to June 30, we’ll feature a special Anniversary Margarita – the Sangrita Margarita, a 17 oz blended house margarita with housemade sangria for $7.95.
Since opening last May, our restaurant has become known for its warm and romantic ambiance, artfully painted interior, lush outdoor patio and authentic Mexican cuisine.
“Guests have told us again and again that being here is like its own vacation,” said General Manager Julie Bell, who came to Casa Sol y Mar from sister-restaurant Casa de Pico. “It’s so gratifying to see new and familiar faces, who often visit us for a fun night out in our lively Cantina or a romantic dinner on our outdoor patio.”
Just in time for our anniversary, we’ve introduced six new healthy dining entrees, including additional gluten-free choices. All selections weigh in at 290-650 calories and include: Ensalada de Carne Asada, with grilled and marinated carne asada, sliced avocado, tomatoes, queso cotija, sliced radishes, spring mix of romaine and cilantro lime dressing; Ensalada de Chef Ignacio, with grilled chicken, avocado slices, tomatoes, queso Oaxaca and thin red onion, served with spicy chipotle light ranch dressing; and Turkey Picadillo Enchiladas, topped with salsa verde and queso cotija, served with black beans and jicama slaw.
Happy New Year from our family at Casa Sol y Mar! If you’re among the millions of Americans fighting to be fitter in 2014, you’ll be happy to know you don’t have to quit eating out. Our talented chef has prepared a number of authentic Mexican entrees bursting with flavor, that won’t ruin your resolutions!
Flavorful Fiesta Fajitas are a lower calorie alternative, featuring vegetables sautéed with achiote sauce, served with hot homemade corn tortillas, black beans and arroz poblano. Our Mango Chipotle Chicken will satisfy your taste buds with seasoned flame grilled chicken breast, topped with chipotle sauce and mango salsa, served atop arroz poblano and with cilantro lime fiesta cabbage.
To top it off, sip one of our refreshing and frosty skinny margaritas, with under 100 calories! Who says eating healthy can’t be a “fiesta”?
To view more of our healthy selections, see our full menu here.